[Qgis-developer] Memory Layers - some proposals

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Sep 25 00:19:57 PDT 2014

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, but

Why would you want a memory (as in RAM) layer when you want permanent data?

For portability reasons?
That's fine, but then we should offer a possibility to support
portability support for a real geo-format (with spatial index and all
the goodies). To stuff it into the project file there can be support
from a plugin, but I would not vote for adding this to core.

To me it seems that the current demand for this comes mainly from wrong
expectations created by the name (and people subsequently loosing data).
And we can fix the name.
For the portability issue, I'd rather go the longer way but get it right.

Regards
Matthias