[Qgis-developer] standardisation of the editing map tools: modify behaviour of press-pan-release tools

Trevor Wiens tsw.web at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:20:13 PDT 2014

I like the options of setting a preference for either GIS like operation or
CAD like operation. This does however tie into a larger issue of
configuration flexibility in QGIS.

I use QGIS when I teach GIS and new users are often overwhelmed by rows and
rows of tool bars. By default we can only set those one at a time soI wrote
the MyConfigs plugin so I could set a certain set of tools visible for when
I'm doing digitizing and a different configurations for different tasks.
Unfortunately to disable menus requires a reboot of the system. In my ideal
world the plugin I wrote would be made obsolete by the ability to define
task configurations of tool bars, menus and perhaps even tool behaviour.
This type of flexibility would be useful for teaching but also in day to
day use by keeping what you need close at hand and behaving as needed and
hiding the other stuff that can sometimes get in the way.

TSW