[Qgis-developer] Thoughts about multi-type tables in QGIS

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 13:02:01 PDT 2015

To me, the solution of grouping layers sounds more like a hack. I think it
will result in some quite complex code and probably UI.

It involves as you say something like inheritance or synchronization of
settings. It raises some difficult questions about the link with the
underlying db (does each sublayer have it's own dataprovider, or is it
somehow shared by the layers ?). It's not clear how the UI would treat
linked layers (how is the edit mode synced between the grouped layers, is
the selection model shared across the layers ? ...). What about features
like joins ? And so on...

If find all of this quite an overkill and a bunch of potential hard to
debug problems.

I know the approach I suggest induces some changes in the API, but I think
the changes would not even be that huge. I'm not even sure they would be
breaking changes ?

If I'm not mistaken, currently, the (only?) way to know what feature type
will be returned by QgsVectorLayer->getFeatures(...) is
QgsVectorLayer->geometryType()

Multi-typed layer could simply return a new QGis::GeometryType
('MixedGeometry' or something).

This way, current code would still work. Of course, you would not be able
to choose a mixed geometry layer for an algorithm that only allows to work
with Line layers, but that's actually quite normal, since a mixed layer is
not a line layer.

Then, we would add the
getLineFeatures/getPointFeatures/getPolygonFeatures functions (or add an
argument to getFeatures), that would allow to iterate only specific types,
for algorithms that are designed to work on MixedGeometry layers.

Am I missing something (would this break the API) ?
Or do you have in mind some things that it could break ?
Probably as Denis said map tools would require most work. They'd be
disabled on mixed layers until we fix them, and we may need some more
helper functions to fix those easily (for instance a feature-type filter
for snapping).

And then, the most tricky part, we would need to find a clever way for the
UI. We'd have to find a clever way to display geometry-type specific
settings that don't clutter the UI when we work on a mono-typed layer.

Actually, the more I think about, the more I think we shouldn't even
consider point/line/polygons as subcategories of a layer.
They should be able to sit next to each other in one normal layer.
This would need some work, on the legend for instance (there can be up to 3
symbols per legend item), some work on toolbars and editing tools, but I
don't see anything unsolvable here.

Best,

Olivier