[Qgis-developer] Thoughts about multi-type tables in QGIS

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Fri Apr 3 13:59:14 PDT 2015

Hi,
I very often use multi geometries postgis tables or views, and I really
don't get what improvements pushing that into QGIS interface could add to
user experience. QGIS is the most simple viewer we have currently. Multi
geom database tables are really really uncommon, and if present, this is
because a DBA - SQL aware user is around, experienced enough to handle
single geometry views if needed. Maybe Geopackage could expand such things,
but by now, it is not true.

Can you explain more clearly what are the benefits of pushing a new
abstraction model here?
If we go in that way, just an example:  We have in France such a GIS tool
(Geoconcept) that has a very UML model with classes and abstractions, with
as many properties/classes as needed - perfect for a object model approach -
and I must say it is dying of not being simple enough for common users. They
have "layers" in mind when doing mapping, and are extremly disturbed with a
Object Oriented logic.  QGIS offers to advanced DBA to work that in upstream
DB, that's fine to me. I never felt limited with that.

The only thing annoying me currently is that QGIS "sees" all geometry
columns when this slow down attribute view a lot. In 1.8 or before (can't
remember), QGIS did not see them and that was fine to me, and avoided to
type SQL in DBmanager to add correctly the data in QGIS.

Cheers
Régis