[Qgis-developer] Thoughts about multi-type tables in QGIS

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 05:11:32 PDT 2015

>  I think that we end up defining different symbols for different
> geometries anyway

That's not completely true. The main color could be shared across all
geometry types. The point style could be used by linestrings and polygons
nodes. The linestring style could be used by the polygon edges. It's more
or less how Leaflet does it, and it works fairly well.

> to me it sounds a bit like loading "varchar" and "float" in the same column

That's exactly what it is not. Generic geometry is a valid and well defined
type, and postgis functions behave very well with it. ST_Area for instance
will return 0 for a point or a line, which is an accurate result and makes
sense.
And while some functions are type-specific, most functions work and make
sense on all types (spatial relations, buffer, bounding boxes, validity,
transformation, simplification, conversion...).

If you split your data in different tables (or columns), you loose the
ability to use any of those functions on all your records at once (without
some complex query that won't be doable in QGIS UI), which IMO is really a
pity...