[Qgis-developer] Thoughts about multi-type tables in QGIS

Roy royroge at outlook.com
Tue Apr 7 04:21:54 PDT 2015

Il 07/04/2015 11.55, Olivier Dalang ha scritto:

> _Event data management_
> I have a postgis table for historical events, which can be of any
> geometrical type.
> The events can have links to other events (using references like
> previous_event_id).
> Currently, I have to add the postgis table four times. Once for each
> geometry type, plus once as a no-geometry table so that I can have the
> full attribute table to be able to use the relations widget.
> At this point, every setting (filtering, labels, actions, symbols...)
> must be made four times,

In general I think that we end up defining different symbols for
different geometries anyway, i do not see how a point and an area can
have the
same simbology; also there are specific postgis functions that make
sense to use for specific geometry (i.e. ST_Area).
I do not want to say that i'm against the idea of mixing geometries, but
to me it sounds a bit like loading "varchar" and "float" in the same column
and eventually ending introducing more complications than benefits, just
my opinion,

best, Roy.