[Qgis-developer] 2.8.2?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Apr 28 07:32:27 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 01:23:35PM +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> On Tue, 28. Apr 2015 at 11:44:15 +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > Let's try hard to avoid backports unless very very important ?
> >
> > PS: I'd be in favor of reducing the silence requirement to 1 week,
> >     especially for the first few bugfix releases...
>
> If only our largest gap was large enough to cover a week.
>
> commit 2e97ceb5c2ecc5c700cfeb42bf5bd822c7c9e91f
> Author:     Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com>
> AuthorDate: Mon Mar 16 23:03:49 2015 +0100
> Commit:     Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com>
> CommitDate: Mon Mar 16 23:04:51 2015 +0100
>
>     adding french translators
>
> commit 6c7eb5b35c6d3c4331832be3811a186fa53d18ad
> Author:     Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
> AuthorDate: Tue Mar 10 22:53:23 2015 +1100
> Commit:     Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
> CommitDate: Tue Mar 10 22:57:03 2015 +1100
>
>  Add some GDAL provider unit tests...
>
> Just ~6.5 days...

Should "adding french translators" trigger a "counter reset" ?
Doesn't sound like a commit that could possibly introduce regressions.
Doesn't sound like an urgent fix either that can't wait for next
patch level release to be included. Maybe by sending out periodical
status report we can help all authors weight urgency of a release and
importance of a fix. What notable changes since 2.8.2 ?

> So that wouldn't have helped either.  Maybe we should do monthly point release
> with a week of no backports unless there were new bugs introduced.  That would
> still give a week window to test the release nightlies before there is a
> release

How's that different from asking developers to refrain from pushing changes
but rather focus on tests for one week ? Such request would not be a general
one, but contextual to a specific case in time. Like, now, as the point was
raised a few times already, we could ask everyone to avoid pushing more
changes in the stable branch unless really really important. Maybe asking on
the list for more opinions about the convenience of pushing them. Until
2.8.2 is out.

--strk;