[Qgis-developer] Announcing the release of QGIS 2.8.3 'Wien'

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Aug 6 11:40:21 PDT 2015

QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.

We are very pleased to announce the point release of QGIS 2.8.3 'Wien'.  Wien
is German for 'Vienna' - host city to our developer meet up in November 2009
and again in March 2014.

As point release it contains no new features, but 150 changes to fix bugs (see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/compare/final-2_8_2...final-2_8_3 for a full
list).

Even when only fixes are added to software they introduce the possibility of
new bugs - if you encounter any problems with this release, please file a
ticket on the QGIS Bug Tracker (http://hub.qgis.org/).  Please consult the
existing and closed issues there before filing any new ones.

The source code and binaries for Windows, Debian and Ubuntu are already
available via the large download link on our home page (http://qgis.org/).
More packages will follow as soon as the package maintainers finish their work.
Please revisit the page if your platform is not available yet.

Thanks

We would like to thank the developers, documenters, testers and all the many
folks out there who volunteer their time and effort (or fund people to do so).

From the QGIS community we hope you enjoy this release! If you wish to donate
time, money or otherwise get involved in making QGIS more awesome, please
wander along to http://qgis.org and lend a hand!

Finally we would like to thank our official sponsors for the invaluable
financial support they provide to this project:

Gold Sponsor:
 Asia Air Survey, Japan (http://www.asiaairsurvey.com/)

Silver Sponsors:
 Sourcepole AG, Switzerland (http://www.sourcepole.com/)
 Office of Public Works, Ireland, Ireland (http://www.opw.ie/)
 AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland (http://www.agh.edu.pl/en)
 State of Vorarlberg, Austria (http://www.vorarlberg.at/)

Bronze Sponsors:
 Nicholas Pearson Associates, UK (http://www.npaconsult.co.uk/)
 QGIS Poland, Poland (http://qgis-polska.org/)
 www.terrelogiche.com, Italy (http://www.terrelogiche.com)>
 www.geosynergy.com.au, Australia (http://www.geosynergy.com.au/)
 Gaia3D, Inc., South Korea (http://www.gaia3d.com/)
 Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, UK (http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/)
 Chartwell Consultants Ltd., Canada (http://www.chartwell-consultants.com/)
 Trage Wegen vzw, Belgium (http://www.tragewegen.be/)
 GFI - Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH, Germany (http://www.gfi-gis.de/)
 GKG Kassel,(Dr.-Ing. Claas Leiner), Germany (http://www.eschenlaub.de/)
 GIS-Support, Poland (http://www.gis-support.com/)
 ADLARES GmbH, Germany (http://www.adlares.com/)
 www.molitec.it, Italy (http://www.molitec.it/)
 www.argusoft.de, Germany (http://www.argusoft.de/)
 Customer Analytics, USA (http://www.customeranalytics.com/)
 Avioportolano Italia, Italy (http://www.avioportolano.it/)
 Faculty of Geology, Geophysics and Environmental Protection,
 AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland (http://www.wggios.agh.edu.pl/en)
 Urbsol, Australia (http://www.urbsol.com.au/)
 MappingGIS, Spain (http://www.mappinggis.com/>)
 GIS3W, Italy (http://www.gis3w.it/)
 Lutra Consulting, UK (http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/)

A current list of donors who have made financial contributions large and small
to the project can be seen on our donors list
(http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#list-of-donors).

If you would like to become and official project sponsor, please visit our
sponsorship page for details. Sponsoring QGIS helps us to fund our six monthly
developer meetings, maintain project infrastructure and fund bug fixing efforts
(http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#sponsorship).

QGIS is Free software and you are under no obligation to pay anything to use it
- in fact we want to encourage people far and wide to use it regardless of what
your financial or social status is - we believe empowering people with spatial
decision making tools will result in a better society for all of humanity.

Sponsoring QGIS helps us to fund our six monthly developer meetings, maintain
project infrastructure and fund bug fixing efforts.

Happy QGISing!

Regards,

The QGIS Team!

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode