[Qgis-developer] python and OSGEO4W

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:42:24 PST 2015

Hi Matteo,

AFAIK, QGIS for Windows platform (both standalone and OSGeo4W)
has "built-in" Python which does not interact/overlaps with other Python
intepreters.

If you need to install pure Python modules, you always can use pip. There
are lot of posts about using pip with OSGeo4W [0-3].

Hope this helps.

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/ExternalPythonPackages
[1] http://nathanw.net/2012/12/19/installing-python-setuptools-into-osgeo4w-python/
[2] http://quantumofgis.blogspot.be/2014/11/qgis-standalone-and-python-modules.html
[3] http://anitagraser.com/2014/07/13/installing-pysal-for-osgeo4w/

> Hi devs,
> I have some doubts related to plugin installation.
> We are writing a plugin that requires some additional python package
> (which can be installed trough pip). On Linux machine there aren't
> difficulties, but on Windows machine all the process could be not so easy.
>
> The main difficulty seems related in machines that have already a python
> installed. In this cases it could be necessary to specify the python
> path in the environmental variables of the machine.
>
> So I have some questions:
> * if QGIS is installed with OSGEO4W and not with the standalone package,
> these problems are still present or OSGEO4W creates a kind of standalone
> QGIS-python system?
> * I'm quite sure there are not chances to auto-install python package
> (via pip) once the plugin is downloaded in the main menu?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matteo

Alexander Bruy