[Qgis-developer] Processing & SAGA 2.2.2

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Dec 23 23:06:52 PST 2015

Il 24/12/2015 07:46, Victor Olaya ha scritto:
> I think that changes in Processing to support newer SAGA versions have
> not been backported to the 2.8.x series, which explains that.
>
> However, with SAGA being the less predictable software ever having
> tons of API breaks in each version...I dont think our LTR should move
> the supported SAGA version. If 1.8 had support for SAGA 2.1, it should
> stick to that for all 2.8.x, and actually the installers and bundles
> should not advance the version and ship that same version of SAGA
> always. And if not using a bundled version, the user should install
> the supported version of SAGA, not a more recent one, since that will
> probably compromise the stability.

Hi Victor,
thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this holds true only for distros
where we have complete control over the stack (only Win, I believe). On
Debian, as in my case, packages get updated all the time, so we really
have no choice. I acknowledge the issues with saga changes; on the other
hand, supporting newer versions on more context will help us spotting
issues and fixing them earlier.
Of course, the alternative is to fork saga and keep and internal stable
version. I noticed, however, that currently there seems to be more
activity than in the past, so forking will be bad:
http://sourceforge.net/p/saga-gis/code-0/commit_browser
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu