[Qgis-developer] Feature fix #4273 and possibly #3756 (qgsdecorationitem)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:01:30 PST 2015

On 30 Dec 2015 8:08 PM, "Duncan" <drrunnacles at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I've put the changes together for these features. This is my first contribution, so I wondered if I could check that I'm making the pull request properly. Hopefully make it a bit easier for whoever deals with it.

Sounds great - and much appreciated! My advice would be to open the
pull request whenever you're ready. Then we can look over whatever
you've got already and make suggestions from there. Sometimes if
you're unsure it's better to open a request early, just to get
feedback on whether you're taking the right approach before sinking
too much work into it.

I'm sure you'll find the QGIS community welcoming to new contributions
and always happy to help out new developers. I'm also willing to help
mentor/guide new contributors through changes if they relate to an
area of the code I'm confident in. Just ask if you get stuck.

> I ran the changes through prepare-commit.sh which fixed a few formatting issues. I plan to rebase the
> branch onto the latest main and push up to my forked github repo and issue the pull request.
>
> I've made a couple of amendments to the dialogs for the north arrow, scalebar and copyright decoration items. Should I check these with anyone before making the pull request?

No, just open when you're ready. The CI testing (Travis) will kick in
and run over you're changes to verify that there's no regressions or
code issues. With any luck you'll get a green light straight away, and
if not someone will let you know what's gone wrong.

> There aren't any existing tests for these classes. Would you like me to put some together for them?

New tests are always very welcome! Again, ping if you need any
guidance on our testing infrastructure.

Nyall