[Qgis-developer] Cross heap contamination with OSGEO4W64

Stuart Brittain stubrittain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 06:43:13 PST 2015

Hi,
I am experiencing cross heap contamination with OSGEO4W64. The issue causes
apps using QgsApplication to crash unless the application is built with VS
2010 in Release configuration.
I have tried VS 2008, VS 2013, and VS 2010. Only Release mode in VS 2010
will run without crash.
Debug mode in VS 2010 will also crash, and the application cannot be
debugged.
In specific, I am experiencing the crash when destructing the QList
returned by QgsMapToolIdentify::identify, it crashes in
QList::node_destruct when the result goes off the stack.

I believe the issue stems from providing QT built with VS 2010, and also
not providing debug versions of qgis_core and QT.
I am not exactly sure why the issue occurs in release versions other than
those built with VS 2010, we can probably blame MS for that ;)

Anyway, I would like to resolve this issue so I can continue to use the
QGIS API for this project, but the only way out I see is to rebuild
everything in QGIS in VS 2013. Or hoping that someone on this list has a
simpler solution. OSGEO4W64 can not be used as many of the dependencies use
the C runtimes from VS 2010.

Has anyone else experienced this, and can provide insight?  Or am I the
only one using OSGEO4W64 and VS 2013?

Thanks,
-Stu