[Qgis-developer] Attribute-table-to-CSV trouble

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Feb 2 02:52:31 PST 2015

I found no related open ticket.
Opened one now. See: https://hub.qgis.org/issues/12111

-----Original Message-----
From: Paolo Cavallini [mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it]
Sent: 30. januar 2015 10:43
To: Blumentrath, Stefan; qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] Attribute-table-to-CSV trouble

Il 30/01/2015 10:03, Blumentrath, Stefan ha scritto:
> Sounds good. Generally, it would be a significant improvement if the
> "Export function" in DB manager could allow other formats than shape.
> Here I think esp. of SQLite-ish formats for example, since shape is
> limited to 2GB and column names will probably have to be truncated and
> so on...

exactly - probably good to open a ticket, if not already

> Regarding CSV-export however, I would expect that at least "copy and
> paste" and "Save as" is something users may frequently try (as it is
> probably also most natural to do so). So these functions should not
> fail easily or be dependent on data source (of course millions of
> records do not necessarily fit into memory in case of copy/paste),
> what do you think?

copy-paste, as you noted, is fragile, and I would not particularly encourage its use. Save as... however should work.

> Is the OGR ID trouble a GDAL/OGR issue, or would it help if QGIS would
> provide the -preserve_fid option?

AFAIK it's a GDAL issue - perhaps you could check if ogr2ogr works for you, and open the ticket where appropriate? (gdal or qgis)

> Do you want me to open ticket(s), also for the plugin issues never the
> less? BTW, I could not find the bug tracker for mmqgis, the links in
> the QGIS plugin homepage only lead to the plugin home page, which does
> not seem to have a bug tracker...

This is a long standing problem. I'm gradually trying to convince new plugin authors to add a code repo and a bugtracker; for older plugins, we have to ask. Perhaps a direct email to the author could help.

All the best, and thanks for raising the issue.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu