[Qgis-developer] QGIS Certification IRC meeting, Thrus 12 Feb, 2015

Vincent Picavet - ML vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Feb 11 10:43:51 PST 2015

Hello,

Le vendredi 6 février 2015, 17:34:46 Tim Sutton a écrit :
> Hi All
>
> We will be holding a meeting on IRC to discuss QGIS training and
> certification on Thursday 12 Feb 2015 and 14h00 GMT in the channel
> #qgis-certification.
>
> If you have ideas about a certification programme for QGIS, please come
> along and join us, or submit your ideas but email for discussion in the
> meeting!

I will not be there tomorrow, and I just wanted to remind the points raised
last June which were important to me.

* The Certification Authority should be an independant, non-profit org, either
OSGeo, or QGIS association
* The certification platform should be under the CA responsibility but its
operation be contracted to a private org after an open tender bid. The
platform operator should not be allowed to give training.
* The exam content should be under the responsibility of the CA, but it could
be initially contracted to a private org after an open tender bid [1]
* There should be an open process to apply as a "certified trainer", allowing
to advertise "certification training" and invigilate exams
* Certification should have either a fixed cost, or a cost relative to the
GNP/mean salary of the country of origin of the trainee [2]

[1] I would rather have an open collective process to build the exams, but
could be harder to setup.
[2] I would prefer the second option

Questions :
- do we want "certified trainers" or "certified training companies" ?

That's mainly the points on my side, and I would be happy to see all of this
take place.

Vincent

--
Vincent Picavet - Gérant Oslandia