[Qgis-developer] QGIS Certification IRC meeting, Thrus 12 Feb, 2015

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Feb 11 12:12:53 PST 2015

Hi Vincent

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Vincent Picavet - ML <
vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le vendredi 6 février 2015, 17:34:46 Tim Sutton a écrit :
> > Hi All
> >
> > We will be holding a meeting on IRC to discuss QGIS training and
> > certification on Thursday 12 Feb 2015 and 14h00 GMT in the channel
> > #qgis-certification.
> >
> > If you have ideas about a certification programme for QGIS, please come
> > along and join us, or submit your ideas but email for discussion in the
> > meeting!
>
> I will not be there tomorrow, and I just wanted to remind the points raised
> last June which were important to me.
>
> * The Certification Authority should be an independant, non-profit org,
> either
> OSGeo, or QGIS association
> * The certification platform should be under the CA responsibility but its
> operation be contracted to a private org after an open tender bid. The
> platform operator should not be allowed to give training.
> * The exam content should be under the responsibility of the CA, but it
> could
> be initially contracted to a private org after an open tender bid [1]
> * There should be an open process to apply as a "certified trainer",
> allowing
> to advertise "certification training" and invigilate exams
> * Certification should have either a fixed cost, or a cost relative to the
> GNP/mean salary of the country of origin of the trainee [2]
>
> [1] I would rather have an open collective process to build the exams, but
> could be harder to setup.
> [2] I would prefer the second option
>
> Questions :
> - do we want "certified trainers" or "certified training companies" ?
>
> That's mainly the points on my side, and I would be happy to see all of
> this
> take place.

​Ok thanks for these points Vincent.

In terms of focus for the meeting, I think we need to follow the QGIS PSC
principle of sub/task groups self organizing and try to create a CA group
with a mandate to see the CA come to being and focus the meeting more on
the formation of a group with allocated responsibilities and less on the
the details of how we do it.

So my suggestion is that ​we get say 5 core member to volunteer (and try to
include folks from education institutions in the mix since I think their
outlook is quite different). And then get regular meetings in place to make
sure things progress...say once every two weeks where we can then focus on
the details of things that you have described above.

Regards

Tim

> Vincent
>
> --