[Qgis-developer] Dubt on plugins without repo and bugtrack

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:49:05 PST 2015

> Hi Alessandro
>
> On 02/18/2015 12:56 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>> Hi Mathias,
>>
>> I don't understand the difference between "optional" and
>> "recommended", I mean the fields are already "optional" (not
>> mandatory) and "recommended" because the developer (and staff members)
>> every time they browse the plugin page see the following message:
>>
>> Some important informations are missing from the plugin metadata
>> (homepage, tracker or repository). Please consider creating a project
>> on hub.qgis.org and filling the missing metadata.
>>
>> This is what I mean with "recommended", and you?
>>
>> Of course we can print a better message, suggestions welcome!
>
> The difference mentioned by Paolo. As I understand it concerns the
> plugin builder but Paolo and you probably know this scope a lot better
> than I.

Thanks, it's clear now.

I was just talking about the plugins repository (plugins.qgis.org),
the validation rules do not require for tracker & C. but only issue a
warning if they are empty and provide hints to the author about how to
solve the problem.

Of course, the plugin builder should do the same, but the plugin
builder could be used for local in-house plugins and in that case
enforcing tracker & C, is pointless.

>> Making the field mandatory would prevent all plugins without those
>> fields from being uploaded in the first place.
>
> That's what I prefer not to happen. But it is no strong opinion.

I agree with you, I think that we should only recommend and not force.
On a case by case basis, plugin approvers (staff members) could
enforce this rule.

The reason is that IMHO for smaller/simple/first-time-users plugins
the tracker & C might not always be necessary.

I also do not have a strong opinion, if we decide to make them
mandatory it's perfectly fine, just be prepared to have lot of fakes
in the homepage field: only a few plugins have a real home page, most
of the times a github repo is all what they have (but it can count as
home and tracker).

Instead of re-discussing this topic twice a year, we should maybe ask
the PSC to take a decision or (better) ask the dev community to vote.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it