[Qgis-developer] Better tags for plugins

Trevor Wiens tsw.web at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:47:40 PST 2015

I took a look through the list and if you wany to make a consistent set of
tags to use then the list will need to be short and obvious.In this light I
would make the following suggestions:

1. The is comprised of items that could be used to make components of
larger items. If there is a desire to make the list standard but not be a
prescriptive as categories individual tags could be used to describe more
complex tasks. For example right now there is:
attribute
attribute edit
attribute table
These could be replaced by attribute, edit, and table and combined with
other things to keep the list short

2. There isn't a consistent time tense in the terms, for example geocoding
and print. Using geocode and print would be more consistent

3. bing and google are listed, perhaps a use of wms would be sufficient

4.Some items are plural and other singular. Again it would be more
consistent for all tags to be singular if possible

There may be other was the list can be shortened even further but those are
my thoughts for now.

TSW

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all.
> > As many of you may have noticed, the current situation with plugin tags
> > is far from ideal: lots of tags, some pretty useless, lack of
> > convergence towards the most representative ones.
> > Now Gary came out with a list of suggestions for plugin builder:
> > https://github.com/g-sherman/Qgis-Plugin-Builder/blob/master/taglist.txt
> > I believe this may greatly increase consistency, so it would be
> > important to have a general consent about the most useful tags (not too
> > many, not too few).
> > Therefore, your comments and pull requests will be useful.
> > All the best, and thanks Gary for taking this.
>

> Agreed, but this is the (free) nature of tag based classification vs
> category based classification, if we want a defined set of tags, we
> should turn them into categories (multiple choice, of course).
>

> --
> Alessandro Pasotti
> w3:   www.itopen.it

Trevor Wiens