[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Better tags for plugins

Jonathan Moules J.Moules at hrwallingford.com
Mon Feb 23 03:26:21 PST 2015

Hi Paulo,
Surely this can be "enforced" by having requirements for acceptance on the official plugin repository. If a plugin doesn't fulfil all the requirements, it doesn't get included.

Possible requirements (to give an idea):
- Brief description of plugin,
- Detailed explanation of plugin.
- "How to use" documentation.
- Useful, consistent tags.
- Homepage/tracker/repository links (that work and go somewhere relevant).
- Author
- Changelog
- Date of last plugin release
- Supported QGIS Versions

This may (will) mean fewer plugins, however the plugins that don't get included would be ones with poor user documentation. Most plugins fail quite badly at making it clear what they do, let alone how to use them. That lot wouldn't take much more than half an hour to do for any given plugin (with only a few very-complex exceptions) and would make plugins much more useable.

Cheers,
Jonathan