[Qgis-developer] Contextual WMS legend graphics forgets option

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Feb 24 08:35:09 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:42:40PM +0700, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi Paolo
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> wrote:
>
> > Il 24/02/2015 16:18, Sandro Santilli ha scritto:
> >
> > > I wouldn't consider that one a bug. The default is for contextual
> > > WMS legend to be off (it's not a standard call). Eventually you
> > > might want a per-server default configuration, but would be
> > > an enhancement.
> >
> > sorry, I do not see your point: if an user chooses to display the legend
> > for a server, it is more than likely that he will expect further
> > connections to that server will remember his choice.
> > but OK, it can be an enhancement.
>
> I would even argue that such option should not exist. Most users will
> probably not understand its meaning. If necessary, such option should be in
> WMS server configuration dialog, not in the main WMS dialog. Anyway I think
> QGIS should try to figure it out itself whether the server supports
> contextual legend.

Contextual legend is a non-standard feature, not sure how QGIS could
rely on capability info to figure out. Moreover the user might want
it enabled only for some of the layers. The per-layer option was explicitly
requested by the funding party (Regione Toscana).

So I would see a per-server option to determine a per-layer default
(overridable) and eventually an "autodetect" choice for that option in
case there's a likely-to-work way to do that.

--strk;