[Qgis-developer] Contextual WMS legend graphics forgets option

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:46:13 PST 2015

Hi,
strk, and Paolo.

I can confirm our goal was to have a per-layer option.
Because not all the layers in a wms service are good to have a
contextual legend.

Actually the more layer don't need a contextual legend.
Only few layer with really many layer are this need.

Of course the proebl of a per-layer configuration is to have a web
client capable to do a non standard call.
Meanwhile a per-server configuration will work with every client.
This is why we fund also the capability of qgis to set the wms
provider to do a contextual-client call.

With a per-server configuration this will not need.

But another question about why we prefer a per-client configuration is
that this is the same configuration used by mapserver in it contextual
legend.
nfact we originally use the contextual legend in mapserver and after
see how good it was on some layer we decided to fund to have the same
contextual legend call in qgis-server.

This is a good question fo interoperability to have the same request
in more then one wms server.
This kind of request is surely not standard for ogc but is the same
for mapserver and for qgis-server.
This mean that a wms provider client that can call the contextual
legend on mapserver can call also on qgis-server.

Instead If qgis-server was working with a different kind of request
for contextual legend, it will be incompatibile and this mean that
every client that support the mapserver contextual call don't
conseguentially support the qgis-server contextual call.

The theird question is that a per-client configuration will allow t
have the full legend and also the contextual legend.
Instead aper-server configuration will allow to have always only one
of both legends.

This mean a lesser useful usage. Because not always is useful to have
the contextual legend (also on a lyar with many domains).

Regards,

Andrea.