[Qgis-developer] git ignores

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Jan 5 12:38:03 PST 2015

Hi Sandro,

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 01:30:33PM +0000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> > Don't build in the source tree ;p
>
> Eh, I usually don't, but that's a workaround, not a solution.
> We do have a .gitignore for a reason.

I would say, especially with CMake, an out-of-source-tree build is good
standard practice, not a workaround. Dev tools like QT Creator even default
to a separate build directory outside of the source directory for CMake
projects.

I don't think massively changing .gitignore to accommodate an in-source
build, so subsequent commits can be done, is worth it. Why run the risk of
masking real source-tree changes with excessive ignores, when you can just
build in another (sub)directory?

Regards,

Larry