[Qgis-developer] Help needed: context help texts moving to Documents

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jan 13 01:01:13 PST 2015

Hi,

After a discussion with Martin in Essen, we now started working on the
moving of the context help text in sources [0] to links to deep links in
our Manual (either in local zip, or the online ones).

The idea is that instead of opening of a new dialog with some html we
just open the default browser and open a deeplink to a relevant page in
the manual.

Martin is busy doing the coding.
I've gone over the texts and looked for good uri's to relevant pages.

The result is here[1].

Texts with 'USE uri', I consider old or obsolete texts, and those should
just be discarded and the uri should be used.

Texts with 'MERGE !' are context text for which I either not could find
an uri in our manual, OR where the text in the context contained
information which was not in the manual.
We search for doc writers which can merge these details into the manual!

There are some other 'discussion'-texts, but those come later.

Some points I want to make:

- while most context-'Help' buttons are the default help buttons on the
default button bar, some of them are different types of custom ones.
I would vote for ALL normal Help buttons.

- The function help is also (html) in the resources. Should we not move
those to the Documentation also (where every function just has a
'deeplink' to it's description/help'.

- I think for some dialogs, context help (links) could be usefull,

Please help to merge the texts by adding your name in the 'TAKER' column
on the wiki. Or discuss here anything related.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/resources/context_help
[1] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/ContextHelp