[Qgis-developer] Downloading & compiling QGIS - FEEDBACK

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Tue Jan 13 05:34:10 PST 2015

OK, using the instructions below, it all went pretty smoothly except for
the few points below.
Mega-thanks to all who contributed to 'Building QGIS from source' document.

As I said below, I was using a fresh install of 64 bit Ubuntu 14.10 Desktop.
Points noted:

  * The version levels of some of the build tools & dependencies in my
    install were LOWER than required by this 'Building QGIS' document.
     1. Perhaps notes on how to get newer versions (than in the 'Main'
        repository) of these tools and dependencies would help. I just
        ignored these versions, and carried on ahead.

  * Maybe add ccache and python-gdal to the list for apt-get in section 3.3
  * In section 3.6 maybe mention the size of the git checkout and how to
    minimise it for those who need to.
  * In 3.7 mention explicitly that setting CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is in
    the ccmake panel and not as an environment variable :-)
    I missed that finer point and had to sudo make install - and then
    qgis wouldn't run so I deleted everything in my 'build-master' and
    then woke up as to where to set the ${HOME}/apps pointer.
  * I ran make & make install as root even though I probably need not have.
  * You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ${HOME}/apps/lib before your
    complied qgis will run.

When I do start this locally compiled qgis, I do get the following error:
Python error: Couldn't load plugin 'processing' ....blah blah
and in QGIS plugins it says 'processing' is broken: Couldn't find module
psycopg2

but QGIS does power up when I close the error window.

Hope these findings helps someone.
Regards,
Zoltan