[Qgis-developer] Data-defined buttons for "en masse" size and rotation

Vincent Mora vincent.mora at oslandia.com
Tue Jan 20 03:17:34 PST 2015

On 19/01/2015 21:04, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Vincent Mora
> <vincent.mora at oslandia.com> wrote:
>>   The changes are illustrated in the attached files.
> Thanks a lot for the mockups!
>
>> I don't have the "Continuous size assistant" right now, but it will be a
>> dialog with a selection of the scale function (Flannery, Area, Linear) with
>> a preview (a legend) on the side.
> That sounds like a good idea. You mentioned that Flannery will be the
> recommended function. What's your reasoning behind that?
> Concerning the area scale function, I'm always wondering if it assumes
> square or circle area.
>
> The name "Continuous size assistant" seems a little difficult to
> understand. I probably wouldn't know what to expect of such a tool
> without giving it a test run. Maybe the context menu entry could
> simply be "Configure data-defined size".
I'll post a mockup as soon as I get out of the ground work (adding "en
masse" expression for size and rotation).

>> The dialog will propose some buttons to
>> auto-set the function parameters (minValue and maxValue) by analyzing the
>> data.
> Will it be possible to select different percentiles?
I don't understand what you mean by different percentiles. Can you
explain it a bit to me so I can put it in :)

>> "en masse"
> Concerning the term "en masse" itself, I also wonder if it's the most
> easily to understand term. Maybe we could be talking about the "master
> size" and "master rotation" but probably some native speaker could
> suggest a clear and simple name for this feature.
I looked it up an it appears to be a french expression that is used in
english. But as a french native I'm certainly not the best judge for
that. A native speaker advice will be welcome.