[Qgis-developer] SPIT still functional?

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:59:38 PST 2015

Hi,

As I said on the user list ( thread : "Import (not so) large data into a
remote postgis database" ), SPIT has the advantage of showing a progress
bar.
This is a good feature when uploading data through a slow connection (my
case these days).

But I think it would make sense to move this feature (the progress bar) to
the DB manager.
I tried to do it [1], and it kind of works sometimes, but there's some UI
refreshing issues, and I won't time to investigate much more these days...

Maybe we should also think about making the import more efficient and
robust. I'm currently working with a slow connection, and uploading a table
of around 4000 lines takes ages (around 2 hours).
I don't really understand what the bottleneck is, but the transfer rate is
way under the transfer rate I'd have if I uploaded a dump file and ran it
online.
All more efficient ways (pg_dump, ogr2ogr, pgdump,...) are not suited for
non power users...

Bests,

Olivier