[Qgis-developer] Processing disappeared from QGIS master?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Jan 21 06:08:26 PST 2015

Am 21.01.2015, 13:59 Uhr, schrieb Pedro Venâncio
<pedrongvenancio at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what is your opinion, but perhaps the best solution would
> be to make a fork of SAGA within QGIS, so could standardize >the version
> for all platforms and for all users. Otherwise it is impossible to
> create multiplatform Processing Models... Since QGIS >has this quick
> releases cycle, it was a question of updating SAGA to the latest
> version, in each new QGIS version.
>
> In my case (Ubuntu 12.04), SAGA tools does not appear, because I have
> SAGA 2.1.1 installed from ubuntugis-unstable, which is no >longer
> supported in QGIS Master:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/b0291985ac16a1f2809979257ffc12d84004e897
>
> supportedVersions = {"2.1.2": ("2.1.2", SagaAlgorithm212),
>                                 "2.1.3": ("2.1.3", SagaAlgorithm213),
>                                 "2.1.4": ("2.1.3", SagaAlgorithm214)}
>
> This way will emerge a problem, since in ubuntugis-unstable, SAGA has
> only been updated for versions of Ubuntu 14.XX (the rest have >2.1.1 or
> earlier). When QGIS 2.8 will be released, it will arise many complaints
> because the SAGA disappears. I'm pretty sure that >most users of
> ubuntu-like-systems use ubuntugis-unstable to install these packages and
> dependencie
>
> What do you think?

I as a user have a lot of trouble with SAGA every while end then,
especially like you mentioned with models I built to run on Win and Linux
Mint/Ubuntu.
Even though I have an updated Linux Mint 17.1 = Ubuntu 14.04 with
ubuntu-unstable, SAGA only works partially. Seems like most vector related
function still work, but all raster related functions fail, so my models
are working only under Windows now.

There might be other reasons for that than only SAGA, but for the average
Linux user, this is hard to solve.
So any ideas how to make the integration of SAGA more stable would be much
appreciated.

Just my 2 cents
Bernd

--