[Qgis-developer] Freeze on release-2_8 branch

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:05:11 PDT 2015

On 30 Jul 2015 8:44 am, "Sandro Santilli" <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:09:49PM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > On 14 July 2015 at 00:04, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > +1 I planned to send a tweet tomorrow but any widespread call for
> > > testing will be good (but mainly by power users and organizations who
> > > actually use it. We cannot put that also on the developers back)
> >
> > I'd really like to backport c8dcf97 (critical for 2.8.3 IMO) and
> > a1a8d1b (nice to have for 2.8.3), but don't want to reset the
> > countdown now. Is there anyway around this?
>
> I noticed 2.8.3 was tagged on July 28, as anticipated,
> but did not see any announcement mail.
> Is that waiting for some form of packaging ?
>
> Also, were those two commits backported ?
> There's no trace of those hashes in the history of 2.8 branch.

They were both backported to 2.8.3 (thanks Jürgen!). I assume the release
announcement is waiting on the packages being built and available for the
major platforms.

On a semi-related theme, we really need a core "QGIS update available"
plugin. I suspect there's a ton of users still on 2.8.0/.1/<2.8 just due to
not knowing there's a new version out. This could also be really handy for
tracking stats of users...

Nyall