[Qgis-developer] LTR

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Mar 6 00:22:35 PST 2015

Hi Nyall,

On Fri, 06. Mar 2015 at 12:14:21 +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > A cronjob will monitor release branches for changes and intiate a new point
> > release whenever there are two week silence after a new commit (or manually
> > when there was a very important fix).

> Doesn't this approach mean that potentially there's never an automated build
> (eg, if we get a commit to the LTR branch every < 14 days)?

No, that cronjob doesn't build anything anyway - it just initiates a point
release after some time of silence.  But of course it means that there is no
new point release, when there is continuous activity on the release branch.

But there is another job that does a nightly build of the release branch that
runs if there are changes on the release branch anyway.  The idea is that the
two weeks window is used by testers, who create bugreports if anything is
wrong, which causes developers to fix them and in turn commit something.  In
that scenario continuous activity means that there is still something wrong -
and that shouldn't be released.

Of course it implies that the nightly builds of the release branch are actually
tested by users, bugs are immediately reported and quickly fixed by the
developers.

> Would a better approach be to also have a maximum time between
> releases, eg after 2 weeks if no activity or after 3/4 weeks since
> last LTR release (only if there's been changes, obviously)?

Well, there might be parallel activity on multiple issues and ongoing activity
on one, might block the point release although the others might already be
fixed.  Not sure how likely that is.

But ideally the release branches should cool off after some time after it was
branched and only occasionally need fixes.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode