[Qgis-developer] Temporal data (was QGIS GRASS Plugin Upgrade Crowdfunding)

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Mar 30 02:31:12 PDT 2015

Hi

I think the very first step in this should be to add proper date (time)
support.
I don't know the state and requirements for raster layers, but for
vector layers I think right now time is converted with the edit types
just for visualization but internally it is passed around as string. It
would be nice to handle them as QDate(Time) internally.

For time-aware databases (postgres...) this should be straightforward.
For others (like shapefile?) we probably need to manage the datatype on
the project level but conversion should IMHO happen low-level directly
in the provider code so things like timezone handling and whatever else
needs to be done can happen exactly once when the data is read from the
datasource or saved to the datasource.

Filtering (from date ... to date ) should best be done on the
QgsFeatureRequest level (setFilterExpression should already be ready I
guess)

Best,
Matthias