[Qgis-developer] Problem with the MySQL/GDAL implementation in QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri May 8 06:59:32 PDT 2015

Hi Pavol,

On Fri, 08. May 2015 at 15:09:24 +0200, Pavol Hnila wrote:
> Is there anybody on the list who is regularly using QGIS >2.0 with MySQL
> or PostGIS spatial layers and who does not have this issue? (I just try
> to understand, whether it is a general problem or whether it is specific
> to my data or settings...)

PostgreSQL-Users probably don't use OGR to access the database - same for
SpatiaLite, Oracle or MSSQL users.

QGIS does multithreaded rendering and because OGR layers are not thread safe
the OGR provider always reopens the layer on every rendering run.  Apparently
that's not too expensive for file based data sources, which I think the OGR
provider is mostly used for.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode