[Qgis-developer] Open hub tickets target versions

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri May 8 08:54:53 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 05:37:06PM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> As we're 2 days from the release of 2.8.2 I wanted to take a look
> at the still open bugs candidated for backporting in the stable release.
>
> I did this by querying all open tickets with Target Version = 2.8.2,
> finding 32 of them, with many marked as blockers (should "blocker" be
> used to block a release?).
>
> Once 2.8.2 is out, should all those tickets be retargetted to 2.8.3 ?
> This didn't happen when 2.8.1 was released as there are still 19 open
> issues with TargetVersion=2.8.2 (including blockrs and crashers).
>
> Jurgen was suggesting on IRC that pushing tickets forward on release
> could be a waste of time and suggested only assigning a fixed target
> version once the fix lands into the corresponding branch, using looser
> targets for still-to-be-closed tickets (ie: 2.8 for the stable branch).
>
> There's indeed a 2.8 target version in hub, which contains 33 tickets.
>
> So, should all open ticket having target 2.8.x be moved to target "2.8" ?
> It would be useful to have such tickets management policy written somewhere
> and linked in the ticket edit form.

On further look, I realized there's no "2.8.0" version, so maybe the current
"2.8" sometimes refers to "2.8.0". If it has to be used as a placeholder
for "next release in the 2.8 branch" it should only have open tickets, but
it does have 130 closed tickets instead ...

My proposal: rename "2.8" to "2.8.0", open a "2.8.3" and move any still-open
ticket from "2.8.0", "2.8.1" and "2.8.2" to the newly created "2.8.3".

--strk;