[Qgis-developer] Open hub tickets target versions

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri May 8 09:12:23 PDT 2015

Hi Sandro,

On Fri, 08. May 2015 at 17:37:06 +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I did this by querying all open tickets with Target Version = 2.8.2,
> finding 32 of them, with many marked as blockers (should "blocker" be
> used to block a release?).

Blockers are just the highest priority for bugs.  But it doesn't actually mean
that they going to block a release.   The policy that every regression is
automatically a blocker no matter how minor it might be.  So minor things
could block a release.

master is released on a schedule and not an some targetted functional state
(which would require a level of control over our contributors that we don't
have).

I would prefer if we prioritize our bugs on their severity and not on whether
they are regressions or not.

I also think that the time used for deducing whether or not a bug existed in a
previous version could be used better, if that information is just used to
decide if the bug should be a so called blocker instead of contributing to
locating and fixing it.  Most of the time it's not necessary to know when a bug
was introduced to fix it - and once it's fixed, it's often easy to see where it
came from.

> Once 2.8.2 is out, should all those tickets be retargetted to 2.8.3 ?
> This didn't happen when 2.8.1 was released as there are still 19 open
> issues with TargetVersion=2.8.2 (including blockrs and crashers).

> Jurgen was suggesting on IRC that pushing tickets forward on release
> could be a waste of time and suggested only assigning a fixed target
> version once the fix lands into the corresponding branch, using looser
> targets for still-to-be-closed tickets (ie: 2.8 for the stable branch).

The "future version" target versions were introduced to avoid fake activity on
tickets, that are just moved from one version where they weren't fixed to the
next version where the probably won't be fixed either.

One should only assign a "real" target version, if the bug is going to be fixed
in that version - or maybe even better when it is actually fixed in that
version.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode