[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sun May 10 01:51:02 PDT 2015

Hi

On 05/09/2015 03:28 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 09/05/2015 12:38, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
>
>> How feasible is switching to Python 3?
> I believe this would be a huge issue: most or all plugins will not work,
> both the internal and the external ones, so our qgis will be badly lame.
> Thanks for raising this point.

There will probably be no PyQt4/Qt5 package but only a PyQt5/Qt5 package?
If there's a PyQt4/Qt5 package the upgrade process should be rather
painless.
If there's none, all plugins will need an update anyway and IMO the two
changes PyQt5 and Python 3 should be grouped.
Sebastiaan, do you know anything about this package?

The other issue is that there's a rather big dependency on QtWebkit
currently. We are struggling already with that on Android.
Alternatives
* QtWebEngine is the future but only available starting from Qt 5.4. So
this is not an option now.
* QLabel/QML: Where it's only used for richtext, a QLabel can be used.
Where there's javascript involved it may be worth investigating the use
of QML.

Regards,
Matthias