[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun May 10 02:19:33 PDT 2015

On 10 May 2015 at 18:51, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> The other issue is that there's a rather big dependency on QtWebkit
> currently. We are struggling already with that on Android.
> Alternatives
> * QtWebEngine is the future but only available starting from Qt 5.4. So
> this is not an option now.
> * QLabel/QML: Where it's only used for richtext, a QLabel can be used.
> Where there's javascript involved it may be worth investigating the use
> of QML.

This change also affects composer in a big way, in that it's no longer
possible to have a HTML composer item. QtWebEngine has no support for
rendering using a QPainter, and without this ability we lose the
possibility of vector rendering of HTML content. Hopefully this is
addressed before QWebPage is removed from Qt5, but I honestly doubt it
will be.

I'm not sure what our alternatives are. We could fall back to using
QLabel and it's limited subset of HTML, or ..? In the meantime, I'd
suggest not relying too heavily on HTML content in compositions!

Nyall