[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun May 10 06:39:36 PDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 03:13 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> On Sun, 10. May 2015 at 14:48:14 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> My apologies I missed the part about a 2 year transition period
>> from Sebastiaan - which probably negates part of my message
>> above.
>
> Apparently a lot of people seem to miss that.   We might loose
> unstable support at some point over the next two years.  But when
> that happens, we can adapt to what's there then.  And I guess we'll
> have a much clearer picture of that will require then.
>
> If debian's timeframe was like ours, we would be in trouble - 2.8
> can't be maintained w/o Qt4, Python2 and PyQt4.   But when stretch
> is released, support for 2.8 is long gone.
>
> So I don't really see the urgency about this.

There is indeed no urgency yet. Since Debian has just released the
jessie stable release we're now at the point where we start working on
goals for stretch. These include moving away from Qt4 and Python 2.

The qgis package in the Debian testing/unstable (from which Ubuntu
syncs) will most likely stick to the LTRs from now on, and skip the
non-LTR releases in between.

Users in need of the latest non-LTR can still get it from QGIS repo.

> I would rather like to know what it actually takes to support
> Python3 and PyQt5. Did anyone try yet?
>
> See also:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-April/003004.html

Improving support for Python 3 and Qt5 are worthly goals for 3.0,
switching to those by default where supported seems ideal for the next
LTR or the one after.

Because of the wide variety of platforms supported by QGIS both Python
2/3 and Qt4/5 will need to be maintained alongside for some time.

Kind Regards,

Bas

- --
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1