[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sun May 10 06:13:45 PDT 2015

Hi Tim,

On Sun, 10. May 2015 at 14:48:14 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> My apologies I missed the part about a 2 year transition period from
> Sebastiaan - which probably negates part of my message above.

Apparently a lot of people seem to miss that.   We might loose unstable support
at some point over the next two years.  But when that happens, we can adapt to
what's there then.  And I guess we'll have a much clearer picture of that will
require then.

If debian's timeframe was like ours, we would be in trouble - 2.8 can't be
maintained w/o Qt4, Python2 and PyQt4.   But when stretch is released, support
for 2.8 is long gone.

So I don't really see the urgency about this.   I would rather like to know
what it actually takes to support Python3 and PyQt5.  Did anyone try yet?

See also: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-April/003004.html

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode