[Qgis-developer] A common set of functions for QGIS plugins

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Wed Nov 4 09:10:34 PST 2015

On 11/2/15 4:29 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Hey Victor,
>
> Working on the same kind of thing over here:
> https://github.com/NathanW2/parfait

Hi,

I wrote a few wrappers for the PyQGIS Programmer's guide that you might
take a look at: http://locatepress.com/ppg/data_code

Includes a generic add layer function that takes determines whether it
is a vector or raster and calls the appropriate supporting function.

Nothing earth-shattering; was meant as an example to get folks thinking
in that direction.

I'm definitely interested in this project...

-gary

> IMO I would rather see a new module and not put it in qgis.utils.
> Something like qgis.py or qgis.wrappers or something like that that.
>
> - Nathan
>
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com
> <mailto:volayaf at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >
>     > I'm in two minds as to whether it would be a good thing to have an
>     > 'official' one. While I can see the use, surely if these things are useful
>     > then they should be included in the mainline API with proper API guarantees?
>     > I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a library that doesn't have an API
>     > guarantee, and if you're making the guarantee then why not in core? If they
>     > are *required* for a plugin to be accepted, then they must be in core and
>     > have an API guarantee.
>     >

>     My ideas is definitely to put this into core (that's what I wrote in
>     my email when i detailed the plans that i have for this), but I have
>     started it as a separate repo to make it easier to collaborate and to
>     start moving ASAP.
>
>     I could write a QEP with this idea, get it approved, throw a bunch of
>     empty py modules in qgis.utils and then start working, but I like to
>     first do some work, get people into it, and then do the bureucracy to
>     pass this to core (I am sure no one will say no to this once a nice
>     collection of functions is ready)
>
>     I will wait for other people to voice their opinion, and if most
>     people agree on going taht other way, I have nothing against it

Gary Sherman

Founder, QGIS Project
Consulting: geoapt.com
Publishing: locatepress.com