[Qgis-developer] Plugins discussion

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Fri Nov 6 07:03:34 PST 2015

A summary about our other discussion of the morning on Python plugin
dependencies and the opportunity to now use pip rather than our custom
system.

For plugins with external dependencies, we can :
- add fields in metadata.txt to declare the dependencies (a pip install
string)
- for Windows and Mac users, ask package managers to include pip in them.

This way, we will have a simple way to gently warn the user a dependency
is missing. And the missing dependencies will be easily installable from
osgeo4w (or the mac equivalent).

This is the very first step and solves an important issue.

Alessandro is working on the metadata update. And two issues have been
added for the installers:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13775
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13777

About using setuptools for Python plugins and/or the pypi infrastructure
for our plugins, no decision yet.

We did not talk about the common framework of python functions. But I
think things are already going well on this side.