[Qgis-developer] Project quality discussion

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:08:28 PST 2015

On 7 Nov 2015 12:22 AM, "Hugo Mercier" <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com> wrote:

> - if a company with no core developer wants to ensure a new feature is
> accepted, it should pay another core developer for the reviewing part.
> Ideally the money should go to the project and the project would decide
> what core developer(s) to pay.
> The details of this process are not very clear. It still has to be
> discussed. But the goal is to make clear for everyone that if you want
> guarantee: you have to pay for it and there is a clear process to handle
> that.

In general I like the way this discussion is going. But I disagree strongly
with this point. It effectively kills off any contributions from
organisations/individuals who want to contribute via code but can't
contribute financially (eg universities, etc). We don't want to lose that.

It also means the entire project becomes 100% dependant on financing. At
the moment a huge chunk (probably the majority) of QGIS work is volunteer
or via non-funded contributions.

Couldn't this just be worked out by sponsored devs/companies on a case by
case basis? Eg if timing is critical then line up a reviewer for speedy
review prior to quoting for work and factor into their original quote the
cost for this.

Nyall