[Qgis-developer] rendering tests, what's the latest approach ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Nov 12 07:37:12 PST 2015

I've found a bug in rendering line-offsetted marker line symbols [1]
and wondering what's the currently recommended way to add a testcase.

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13811 or
    https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2442

Looking around I see many test files using the QgsRenderChecker
class in tests/src/core but the rationale is not clear to me.

Here's the list:

   regression992.cpp
   testqgsblendmodes.cpp
   testqgscomposerobject.cpp
   testqgscomposerutils.cpp
   testqgsdiagram.cpp
   testqgsgeometry.cpp
   testqgsgradients.cpp
   testqgsimageoperation.cpp
   testqgsinvertedpolygonrenderer.cpp
   testqgslabelingenginev2.cpp
   testqgslegendrenderer.cpp
   testqgslinefillsymbol.cpp
   testqgsmaprenderer.cpp
   testqgsmaprotation.cpp
   testqgspainteffect.cpp
   testqgspointpatternfillsymbol.cpp
   testqgsrasterfill.cpp
   testqgsrasterlayer.cpp
 * testqgsrenderers.cpp
   testqgsshapeburst.cpp

Then other files use the QgsMultiRenderChecker class instead:

   qgscompositionchecker.cpp
   testqgsblendmodes.cpp
   testqgsdiagram.cpp
   testqgsinvertedpolygonrenderer.cpp
   testqgspainteffect.cpp
   testqgsrasterfill.cpp
   testqgsrenderers.cpp
   testqgsshapeburst.cpp
 * testqgsstylev2.cpp
 * testqgssymbolv2.cpp

What's the difference between the two classes ?  Which one should I use ?
Should I put the new case in any existing file ?
(I've tagged the possible candidates with a star)

--strk;