[Qgis-developer] Data Download Framework [was [Qgis-user] SRTM-plug-in?]

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 19 10:31:27 PST 2015

Short summary, after brief discussion about if there was a plugin to
pull SRTM (DEM) data for the canvas (which we never found), we turned to
discussing the possibility of build a framework for public data
downloading by canvas extent.

We want to avoid duplication of the same common core functionality, and
make it easy to plug new data in, and for users to be able to find what
they're looking for.

Ideally to me this is just an improvement to CSW, WCS and WFS. However
many such data sets don't exist under services, and are just file based
downloads.

This email is to gauge interest in co-developing such an option in QGIS.

Ideas welcome and encouraged.

Thanks,
Alex