[Qgis-developer] Quick fixes and error communication for ftools

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Nov 24 02:13:26 PST 2015

Hi Marco

On 11/24/2015 11:01 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi Alessandro, Matthias
>
> >Is there no requirement for multi types?
>
> Afaik, the problem for f-tools are not the multi types, but only the
> geometry collections (containing geometries with different shape
> type). In my experience, if geos returns a geometry collection, it
> usually contains one 'expected' geometry and the others are slivers
> (@strk, please correct me if wrong).

I was mostly thinking about collections that contain a multitype with
several parts which are not considered slivers. This seems to be a very
valid scenario.

> >Based on what indicator should be chosen what to extract? Try
> polygons first, if there are none try lines, if there are none take
> points?
>
> One possibility would be to pass the expected shapetype (Point / Line
> / Polygon) to the function and take the best candidate (e.g. longest
> line, largest polygon area).

Before the geometry changes, the algorithms were able to provide the
results without this additional information. How was that done?

> >How much effort (in time) do you think is required to implement this fix?
>
> Difficult to estimate. It seems straightforward to implement the
> extraction function. Then it needs to be called by the f-tools
> internally and be tested with a few examples. If unit tests are
> required (as mentioned by Alessandro), this seems to be the most time
> consuming task to me.
Unit Tests for processing are on my todo list anyway (I think as a psc
member you should have voted for that ;) )

Matthias