[Qgis-developer] new dependency on GEOS C++ library

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 1 02:47:35 PDT 2015

I've found that qgis is now dependent on the C++ GEOS API,
due to the new src/core/geosextra.

It seems to me that the "geosextra" code in its current incarnation
only exposes a function to basically round coordinates to a precision
grid, but in no way changes the precision of operations performed by
further GEOS functions on the resulting geometries.

This is discussed in detail in https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/713

So my question is: if grid-snapping is enough for QGIS use, is adding
a new dependency on GEOS really needed, or isn't there other internal
code for doing coordinates editing work (would seem easy with Qt
standard library?).

As I've been asked to help with getting the code in place for what
I've understood are good new functionalities I'm here to better
understsand the issue, why the new code is needed and how to best have
it available, considering also that latest GEOS release was published
on August 15, 2015.

See also https://github.com/qgis/qgis/pull/2302

--strk;