[Qgis-developer] SSL error on QGIS startup

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 06:03:00 PDT 2015

> On 10/02/2015 11:54 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> > On 02-10-15 10:41, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> >> My original plan for the news feed was a push notification system for
> >> conferences, releases...
> >>
> >> I do not see any advantage of the current system over having a link
> >> which opens a browser window.
> >>
> >> I would like to clearly separate the two discussions: IF there is a good
> >> reason to ship the news feed internally, THEN we will find a solution to
> >> ship a library instead of downloading an external one.
> > A real push mechanism?
> > Or do you mean just pulling a most recent rss or atom feed?
>
> I was referring to pull/push in terms of UX. Originally the user had no
> other choice than looking at the news feed (push). Now the user has to
> click the tab to get information (pull).
>
> Reasoning: Most pages (github/stackoverflow...) and software (mail
> clients) give you a notification by means of an icon when there is
> something new available in your inbox, in a folder... In short, the
> users knows that there are unread items.
>
> At the moment we do not push the information to the user and we do not
> give him any hint if there's something of interest to him on the tab.
> Why would he still click on it after having found nothing new the last 5
> times he clicked the tab? How does he know the frequency of information
> update?
>
> If we integrate the reader inside the app we should give the user a hint
> by notifying (icon) or "pushing" the information to him (always show the
> feed). If we don't, let's not pretend to be smart. Let's avoid the
> overhead. Let's just offer a link, it does the same.
>
> It was a bit short-sighted of me to integrate the feed without first
> thinking about a use-case (i.e. what kind of information
> deserves/requires to be pushed). Sorry for that.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthias

IMHO the news tab with "push-like" behaviour is a good idea (and I thought
it was already decided).

I'm not suggesting to reimplement a feed parser from scratches, just to not
use any CDN loaded js libraries for that.

A feed stream is a simple XML file and many parser implementations are
available in python.

Cheers

--
Alessandro Pasotti