[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 13 00:09:54 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Thanks all for joining the discussion.

My main concern, is about quality, not so much about the exact number of
months between the releases - and I have the impression that given the
current situation (not enough test coverage, large parts of the codebase
untested, still large chunk of code go into master without
QGEP/discussion/cross review) - that we cannot deliver good quality with
such a rapid pace.

The only other software I know that has such a rapid pace of releases
are web browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox) - but these projects have
rather small incremental changes in between their releases and very
rigid requirements for new additions to the code base, and large and
comprehensive test suites. In addition they have automatic updates and
much more financial resources than we have.

We can't build on the above things (at least not yet). In our current
situation we have to rely more on manual user testing - and for that the
one month testing/bug fixing phase is too short. And again - for someone
who wants to test all of the releases - the releases happen too often.
What's the point of releases where people don't have the time and
resources to test them in depth - and the time to properly react on
findings?

-------------------------------

The other thing is our long list of open bugs. I also regard many of the
"normal" bugs as severe or at least very annoying.

For me we should take the time to have a break in feature development
and invest more in quality - and having a slightly slower release
schedule gives us at least a chance to do more in this respect.

We have some very good initiatives in this respect: the LTR release, the
paid bug fixing, more donations, more tests provided, processing test
suite will start soon, investment in documentation, etc. I am just
asking for a slower pace to do these things properly.

Andreas