[Qgis-developer] SVG Icons from US national park service

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 13 02:30:24 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have recently met Tom Patterson - a fellow cartographer who works at
the national park service in Washington. I knew him for some years - but
only recently re-met him again in Pittsburgh.

He gave a nice presentation at the Graphical Web 2015 conference in
Pittsburgh (nice presentation to look at by the way:
http://www.graphicalweb.org/2015/abstracts/37-Designing_National_Park_Service_Visitor_Maps/NPS_Maps.pdf
- and a good inspiration for cartographers).

He also pointed me towards high-quality public domain icons from the
national park service, available from
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/map-symbols.cfm

See
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/symbols/map_symbols.pdf
and
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/symbols/other_symbols.pdf

in particular.

Since they are public domain - and high quality - we are welcome to
integrate many of these symbols with our QGIS distribution.

If you agree - I may volunteer to convert them from PDF/Adobe
Illustrator to SVG - making sure they also have replaceable fill/stroke
colors.

Andreas