[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:47:43 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 22:34, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I think I would just like to add to this that no matter what we do there is
> always going to be someone/some company that doesn't like the process.  No
> release process is perfect and is part of the game of software development.
> We can adjust if required but I suspect it will be raised again in the
> future.

I agree... looking at this discussion we've got people on two opposing
sides - those who want development to slow down and stabilise, and
those who are disappointed in the slow speed of development and want
faster reviews/merges. We'll never be able to satisfy both sides.

So instead of this becoming an endless debate I think the important
thing is to work out what practical changes we should make. I'd say
the things we CAN change include:

- clarifying the process and role of QEPs and when they should/must be done
- put some kind of guidelines around PR reviews... when is code
suitable for direct merging and when should it be sent via a PR? Who
is responsible for this?
- ditto for unit tests... our contributor guidelines state that all
code added to core must be accompanied by units, so I assume the PSC
or someone made this decision in the past. We just all choose to
ignore it when convenient ;) I've got an idea for a half-way approach
on this, which I'll submit sometime as a replacement to QEP #5 (which
even I'll admit was too hardline)
- decide on the timeline for LTR releases (1/2 years? overlapping LTR releases?)
- and finally.... make a decision about the move to Qt5/Python
3.0/QGIS 3.0 and stop putting this difficult choice off!

Nyall