[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Oct 14 01:44:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 07:59:37AM +0000, m roy wrote:

> Il 14/10/2015 08.20, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
> > Sure. Another option, if we feel there are no compelling reasons to
> > have another LTR (I believe 2.11 have few additional function people
> > can't really miss, and 2.8 seems generally quite well accepted), to
> > skip next LTR and go straight away with the transition after 2.12 is out.
>
> Given that i love the QGIS project, and i do not mean to be rude at all:
>
>  From a user perspective
>
> IMHO skipping the next LTR would be a huge mistake, people
> find this statement on the QGIS web site:
>
> "Every third release (starting with 2.8) is a long-term-release (LTR)
> that is maintained until the next long-term-release occurs."
>
> so accordingly a migration/project planning is done, and then out of the
> blue there is no LTR (?)

+1 changing the plan right after making it isn't good.

Shall a change happen, it should be advertised before the next LTR
(following existing schedule) comes out.

Personally I wouldn't care about missing 2.12, but 2.14 LTR is what
I'm looking at (although it is always hard for me to figure out
exactly when it is expected, I guess Feb 2016 ?).

--strk;