[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Oct 14 05:57:01 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Il 14/10/2015 13:58, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
>
> > With regards to Mac and Qt4 support, it may be that even an LTR 2.14
> > release will have a very short lifespan, given that the next Mac OS
> > upgrade will probably significantly break Qt4; and, I seriously doubt
> > there will be people wanting to resurrect Qt4 again.
>
> so, wouldn't this be a strong argument against 2.14 as an LTR?
> I understand the same will hold true for Debian/Ubuntu as well.

Touché, Paolo. You are probably right here, though there are still a couple
of unknowns at this point.

By "very short lifespan" I am referring to the next Mac OS (10.12?), which
not everyone will use. It is unknown at this time whether Qt4 can be made
to support it (maybe we get lucky again and it doesn't break Qt4 much
more). On the other hand, I still get requests to support 10.6 (from 2009)
for nightlies.

If we look at some basic Mac OS adoption trends by users [0], it is
apparent that they adopt the latest OS much more so than users of Windows.
However, it is unclear how much this reflects the general Mac QGIS user's
OS adoption rate (guessing it is roughly equivalent).

Basically, as Nyall has pointed out, something needs done for Mac ASAP, not
4 or 8 or 12 months from now. Towards a solution, I would like to start
providing a Qt5-based nightly for Mac (after 2.12 is released).

[0]
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qpsp=2015&qpnp=1&qptimeframe=Y

Regards,

Larry Shaffer