[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:08:43 PDT 2015

Hey Tom,

I suspect it won't be that bad overall but we do need to just see what is
needed first.  The Python 2 -> 3 change isn't so bad, there is a few things
but they are workable.

The change to PyQt5 is also workable.  You could do this kind of thing for
the imports:

if version >= 3.0:
   from PyQt5.QtCore import *
else:
   from PyQt4.QtCore import *

There is also some other things we could do here to help I think like:

from qgis.PyQt import *

Where qgis.PyQt is a wrapper module around the above version checks so you
don't have to version check in each class.

Changes to the Qt API is the other thing to handle as things have been
removed from Qt4 in Qt5 but I'm not sure on the list.

All in all I don't suspect you will have to maintain two different code
bases just aware of the API differences.  This is mainly what I mean when I
say planning.  Having some resources for people to use

- Nathan